Wednesday, April 20, 2011

13 Questions With...Raymund Hensley


1. You’re hosting a dinner party. What is the menu, and do you cook it yourself, or do you call a caterer?
I'll cook Spam and rice! And oh my, there are many different types of delicious Spam flavors: Spam Less Sodium, Hickory Smoked, Turkey, Bacon, Spam with Cheese, and my favorite, Hot & Spicy.

2. What is your beverage of choice?
Water. Yup. 8 glasses a day. I stopped drinking soda last year. Actually, I gave in and took a sip recently, and the acidity burned like a Happy New Year sparkler down my throat. Water. It's important. The brain is 85% water.

3. Physical book Vs an E-Reader. Your preference and why?
I prefer physical books. I like the way books smell. Each book has its own aroma. I'm a smelling type of guy. Smelling this, smelling that. I remember things better this way. I remember whole scenes this way. One sniff and I'm back in the book. They have a fragrance, like people.

4. What kinds of books make up your personal library?
On Writing, Forrest Gump, Gump and Co. (Forrest Gump 2), Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, ESP Right Now, What The Bleep Do We know?, The Early History of Surgery, Get a Grip on Philosophy, David Lynch's Catching the Big Fish, The Hellbound Heart, The Master Key System, Curse of Lono, and my favorite book, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Hunter S. Thompson, we miss you. RIP.

5. How and when did you catch the writing bug?
Way back when I was a wee lad, I read The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker, and my mind, my imagination, went crazy. I was addicted to his books. The skill of putting such fantastical sights into a reader's mind – to take them away to another world – I wanted to learn that, to do that. I wanted to GO.

6. What is your writing routine?
I write after I open my eyes in the morning. I usually wake up, roll over, and write down whatever weird dream I just had. It helps me to get into the writing mode. On my days off I write the whole day. Literally the whole day. I'm a bit of a shut-in. I don't go out to “Hit the clubs” or "Drink the blood" or whatever these kids do now days.

7. If you ever encounter writer’s block, what steps do you take to get past it?
I just freehand it. Just come up with a little story on the fly. Do the whole Stephen King thing. You know? Let the story tell itself. Trust the story. Trust your creativity. Don't be so judgmental. Shut up the left side of your brain. Works every time.

8. Do you have a hidden talent?
Karaoke singing. Anything from Poison to Boyz II Men to Huey Lewis to Peter Cetera to Bone Thugs in Harmony to Bon Jovi. I love singing. Oh, and you know how some people can roll a quarter across their knuckles? I can do that too, lol.
9. What was your best subject in school?
The ladies. That, or Art Class, aka Time-to-go-to-sleep Class. I was also quite good in Let's-just-cook-and-eat Class.

10. As in any entertainment, there are current trends. How much do these “current trends” influence what you write?
Honestly? The whole Twilight thing hangs over my head like a devil bird. I'm very tempted to try some teen romance. So maybe the answer is, a little. They influence me a little. We all have our own voice, but we also want to be popular – be a part of the popular crowd. This is high school all over again. Good-grief. I'll see you in Time-to-go-to-sleep Class.

11. Mac or PC?
I'm a PC. And I'm PC.

12. Where do your ideas come from?
Ready? It's gonna get weird.... All ideas come from the supreme mind, the omniscient mind, the super consciousness, the Universal Mind. The Universe herself. And the best way to have this power inspire you – fill you with ideas – is by relaxing, meditating. Yeah, it's hippie talk, but I can dig it. You can always find me in the New Age section of the bookstore.

13 What advice would you pass on to an aspiring author?
Network. The internet is your friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment