Friday, May 13, 2011

13 Questions With...Michael Forrest



1. You’re hosting a dinner party. What is the menu, and do you cook it yourself, or do you call a caterer?
I can't cook, so a caterer it is. And, depending on the time of year, I'd probably go with Mexican. If it's winter or spring, maybe the drier northern Mexican cuisine, summer or fall a wetter southern Mexican menu.

2. What is your beverage of choice?
Gatorade, or Cab.

3. Physical book Vs an E-Reader. Your preference and why?
Physical books, because I grew up with them, love the feel and the smell... unless they get wet and moldy.

4. What kinds of books make up your personal library?
Sci-fi/Fantasy.

5. How and when did you catch the writing bug?
Around about 20 years of age, early in my college career. I guess it was just the increased writing workload took hold after what had been, I admit, a pretty languid high school career.

6. What is your writing routine?
I'm not a fast writer, but I do try to write some every day. Depending on how a story is flowing and what my 'other' work schedule is, I can write at pretty much any time, day or night – though the time of day can affect the content.

7. If you ever encounter writer’s block, what steps do you take to get past it?
Just sit down, and write. You have to let yourself into the story and the world you've created. Do not fight it. I don't really get writer's block, rather I procrastinate.

8. Do you have a hidden talent?
Not that I'm aware of, unless its writing.

9. What was your best subject in school?
History.

10. As in any entertainment, there are current trends. How much do these “current trends” influence what you write?
I tend to lag behind current trends. For instance, I don't often go to the movies. I'll generally wait until something comes out on DVD or pops up on Hulu. Same with TV series, I'm usually at least a couple of years behind the current season. Also, I was a teen in the 80s, so 80s music is my favorite kind. This pattern is just fine when writing these Mystery Shopper stories as the main character is a throwback himself.

11. Mac or PC?
I have both but currently use a PC.

12. Where do your ideas come from?
Wow, I don't exactly know. To reference question #10, I'm sure I am influenced by popular culture and its entertainments, just in a more roundabout way. I think I just take a lot of ingredients, pour them into my own peculiar imagination and hit blend.

13 What advice would you pass on to an aspiring author?
Try out different genres in your writing. You may have a favorite already when you start out, but could be surprised and benefit from some cross-pollination. And just sit down, or stand or whatever, and write. Remember, it's very possibly not 'writer's block,' you're likely just procrastinating. Let yourself get into your fictional world and the story should take you by the hand from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment