Tuesday, July 30, 2013

13 Questions with...Lee Jordan



 1. You’re hosting a dinner party. What is the menu, and do you cook it yourself, or do you call a caterer?


My favorite meal is this stew my wife makes. It’s basically a hodgepodge of meat and seafood with a lot of peppers, onions, and spices in it. I would serve that after begging my wife to make it.



2. What is your beverage of choice?
I drink about 3 or 4 Pepsi Max’s per day (with an occasional Dr. Pepper). As far as evening goes, I like a nice Sangria.



3. Physical book Vs an E-Reader. Your preference and why?
I’m still very old school. I have tried the e-readers but like the feel of a book in my hands and I read every day.





4. What kinds of books make up your personal library?
 Horror, Thrillers, and real –life unsolved mysteries. I never get enough of those things. I’m reading a book on Earth’s ancient mysteries at the moment.



5. How and when did you catch the writing bug?


I started writing my first book when I was around 4th or 5th grade. It was a picture book using the characters from the Fantastic Four Comic Book series. My mom was the only reader….



6. What is your writing routine?


I usually gather up my dog and go into my office in the mornings when the house is quiet and the kids are at school and the wife is running errands. Around 9 every day is the best for me. I try and write something or at least do some research. And then I don’t read it again for at least a week to see if I want to keep it or not.



7. If you ever encounter writer’s block, what steps do you take to get past it?


 I actually had it after I finished Coronation. I couldn’t think of anything to write and everything I put on paper I thought was not well written and did not reflect what I wanted it to say. So I took a break, and then got this idea (I was at a horror convention when the thought struck me), and I’ve been working on it ever since.



8. Do you have a hidden talent?
Great question and one I’ve never really thought about. About 15 different answers just went through my head, but I’ll stick to the more mundane answer and just say “not really”.



9. What was your best subject in school?
I always did well in Math and Science, but I was a voracious reader of vampire books from the time I was around 10 or so. My sister was always afraid I was going to run off and join a cult….



10. As in any entertainment, there are current trends. How much do these “current trends” influence what you write?
I really dislike current trends in general. I have never been one to jump on any bandwagon (writing wise or in life in general). I‘m more of the belief that what is trending today will be old hat tomorrow.





11. Mac or PC?


That’s easy. Mac, all day long.



12. Where do your ideas come from?


 That’s a harder one. I get my ideas from the things I love to read about. I love horror and actual mysteries (as you can tell from Coronation). When I find something that I think I can play with, I kind of let the notion work itself into my thought process until the idea is fully formed. I don’t force it or make it come out. I prefer to just let it linger in my subconscious as it manifests.



13 What advice would you pass on to an aspiring author?
It may be an old idea, but it really works for me. Don’t let one person’s opinion of your work alter what you write or what you want to write. It is your choice and opinions are a dime a dozen. Rejections are simply challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment