Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Continuing Saga of the Reading Challenge.


Good evening constant reader.


I've finished 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill.
To be honest, I'm glad I'm through with it.

The introduction, written by horror author Christopher Golden, made 20th Century Ghosts sound too good to be true. Unfortunately, that turned out to be the case.

Golden practically reviewed every story in his introduction, eventually having to cut himself off lest he review the entire book.
His over view had me drooling by the time I got to the first story.

It's my opinion that the horror literature genre shines best in the short story format.
I've read some humdingers that stay with you long after you've read the last word.
I was hoping Joe Hill's short stories would be like that. Some of them were quite good. Some were excellent. But most just weren't what the introduction built them up to be. I've read Joe Hill's other work, notably his two horror novels, Heart Shaped Box and Horns, and loved them.

Ah well...more novels are sure to come from Mr. Hill and I look forward to them.

Next book up is It Must Have Been Something I Ate by Jeffrey Steingarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment